Welcome To Valkyrie-Owners.com
October 22, 2014, 07:11:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in June! The VOAI will be invading Harrison, Arkansas for our annual ride-in/reunion. Find all the info below!

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2001 Valkyrie interstate problem  (Read 750 times)
bdivmedia@gmail.com
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »

Was. Driving along when I heard scraping noises from transmission? Nothing locked up. Clutch works.motor works fine. When I put it in gear it makes scraping noises when I let out the clutch in all gears. What is it? Universal joint? Transmission? Driveshaft? Towed bike home. Only 40,000 on bike. Any ideas? Boyd
Valker
I had a good time!!
Global Moderator

Texas panhandle

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 05:00:20 AM »

Sounds like final drive splines died. Less likely is u joint. Another possible is pinion cup splines

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be- Douglas Adams
bdivmedia@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 06:54:23 AM »

So what does that. Mean in terms off cost and work needed? Any ideas?
NITRO
~KP~
Administrator

Eau Claire, WI

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »

A used final drive in good condition should run $250-$350, I wouldn't pay more than that for one. You can get any other final drive parts (pinion cup, u-joint, etc.) from HDL for not too much money. If it is the final drive splines that have worn out, all you need to do is take the rear wheel off, unbolt the shot final drive and bolt up the new one.

Have you been keeping up with the final drive maintenance? It should be cleaned and greased every 10K miles or problems will ensue.

Semiprofessional wanderer.

TrickyD
Senior Forum Member

TrickyD and Lady Kathy from Wisconsin Dells, WI

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »

Hi Nitro! Hope all is well up North. What is HDL's E-mail address? I can't seem to find it anymore! Thanks

bdivmedia@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:27:36 AM »

I just bought the bike a few months ago. The previous owner seemed to have looked after it. Bike is in excellent condition. I appreciate all the replies. I really love this bike and want to keep it a long time. I had dozens before but not a Valkyrie!
IDO-Endeavor

What I do

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 10:45:46 AM »

Mine did the same thing this summer - I purchase a complete rear gearset off ebay for $49 as you need the cup and that does not normally come separately. (pinwheel cycle) I also picked up a drive shaft for $55 so for under $100 I had it fixed. The used parts where just like brand new.
Mine went at 117k and had never been greased. I checked out the engineering of this unit and found the only way these splines get lubricated is via grease applied as it is impossible for the oil from the gear case to ever make it into the spline cup. To do so would require the oil to flow against centrifugal force. The actual movement of the spline surfaces is only a couple thousands of an inch but dry and moving back and forth for millions and millions of revolutions these things will eventually wear down.
They remedied this problem on the 1800's by simply greasing the splines at the factory. This is a once in a lifetime lubrication and even Honda does not specify a need to grease again as normal procedure and I have never heard of a driveshaft problem on the 1800. Many of them go over 300k.

However many people like to disassemble and re-grease with each tire change. This is fine and it's my plan however I change tires every 50-55k so I guess that will be the service interval.

The actual replacement is not bad, pull the wheel then unbolt the drive unit and pull the shaft out the rear. Change the pinion cup and fill it partially with grease (centrifugal force will spread the grease as you drive) lightly grease the spline and reverse the procedure. make sure you only finger tighten the drive unit in place - install the wheel and tighten the axle then tighten the drive unit - this makes sure everything is aligned properly.
Mine took about an hour to complete - not all that much more than changing a tire.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:51:41 AM by ValkThree » Logged
R J
VOAi# 800 - Lifetime #25 - USMC 1950-1954 Semper fi.

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 11:24:48 AM »

Don't forget to change the 3 'O' rings...........

3 times around except Hawaii, only twice there on a Harley.
IDO-Endeavor

What I do

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »

Here is a manual online if you wish to use it http://www.mufflerbelt.com/Valkyrie/Manual/
bdivmedia@gmail.com
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 01:57:42 PM »

Wow you guys are excellent. Thanks for all the help! Sounds fairly straight forward but now I know I am going to get a few quotes from a couple shops here in Eastern Canada. Will update for interest sake later.
NITRO
~KP~
Administrator

Eau Claire, WI

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 03:37:38 PM »

HDL: Good place for OEM parts at prices better than most else.

http://www.directlineparts.com/

Semiprofessional wanderer.

bdivmedia@gmail.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 04:08:41 PM »

Excellent! The manual reference above is great too. I was looking for one.
pierre
Elite Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 06:45:48 PM »

Bad for you ! We had the same problem with the final shaft here.
The dealer are suppose to grease it every tire change.
He didn't.... 3 of us had to change the final drive shaft.
I had one almost new but it was expensive!
Pierre  cool
bdivmedia@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 11:16:25 AM »

Where can a good used driveshaft be found if I need one?
IDO-Endeavor

What I do

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 01:16:11 PM »

check out ebay and look at units sold by Pinwheel cycle - they stand behind their products and the ones I got from them are just like brand new.

http://www.pinwallcycle.com/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-Honda-GL1500CF-Valkyrie-Interstate-Rear-Drive-w-Drive-Shaft-/140638350352?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20beb2ec10
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: