Welcome To Valkyrie-Owners.com
March 25, 2017, 02:47:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the VOAI-- the world's first and oldest Valkyrie organization!

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tire rub  (Read 633 times)
ubu

« on: September 29, 2016, 04:16:21 PM »

I just wanted to find out if anyone that has gone to a ct has had an issue with the tire rubbing on the shaft cover.  I just installed a Goodyear assurance triplet read 205/60-16 and have it is rubbing the side wall on the shaft cover.  Any ideas?  Most of what I have read said that should have no issues.  I'm stumped and this may turn into an expensive experiment
NITRO
~KP~
Administrator

Eau Claire, WI

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »

Are you 100% sure it's rubbing on the swingarm? Many think that's the case, but the usual culprit is one or both of the nut cages inside the fender. Have you removed them?

Semiprofessional wanderer.

MP
Administrator

1997 Standard and 2001 red/blk I/S with sidecar

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 06:59:10 AM »

Are you 100% sure it's rubbing on the swingarm? Many think that's the case, but the usual culprit is one or both of the nut cages inside the fender. Have you removed them?
I have  a bike where it is tight to fit a business card between the swing arm, and the CT.  It never rubs though.  As Nitro said, have you done the nut mod?  The CT will touch that, and it REALLY looks like it is the swing arm.

Is there clearance on the swing arm, at rest?  Put a business card in there.  If it goes, the CT will NEVER touch it!  Never!  Riding, bouncing, heavily loaded, etc, does NOT change that clearance.  The only way it can touch, is if it is touching, AT REST.

Let us know.  Good Luck.

MP

Scranton, ND
"Riding with Cycho"
ubu

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 01:25:38 PM »

definitely the swing arm.  the nut cages clear the tire, but it is rubbing on the back of the shaft side of the swing arm.  which puzzles me completely, especially with the tire that most everyone suggested.  I haven't looked in the clymers yet but are there any spacers that may have been left off.  I had the tire mounted by a shop and just wondering
MP
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 07:42:20 AM »

Then something is wrong. I have NEVER heard of a tire that size actually touching. Over the years, LOTS of riders have used that Goodyear tire.

Scranton, ND
"Riding with Cycho"
MP
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 07:44:20 AM »

definitely the swing arm.  the nut cages clear the tire, but it is rubbing on the back of the shaft side of the swing arm.  which puzzles me completely, especially with the tire that most everyone suggested.  I haven't looked in the clymers yet but are there any spacers that may have been left off.  I had the tire mounted by a shop and just wondering

You need to compress the shocks/rear springs completely to see if the nut cages hit.  On my std, I actually  used carriage bolts, from the inside out. Fixed!

Scranton, ND
"Riding with Cycho"
Challenger
Senior Forum Member

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 08:16:57 AM »

I agree with M.P.  I ran the same tire on my Std and I/S with no problem, Something is amiss.  Did you install the tire and wheel yourself? Are you sure the thrust washer was installed between the wheel and drive? I've heard of some people having to tap the welded seam in a bit on a larger tire, but not on a 205-60R-16
ubu

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 06:49:53 AM »

I'm going to take the fender off this week and check the nut cages.  I hope the thrust washer was installed, I had a local shop do it and he usually does good work. 
ubu

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 08:22:34 PM »

Just to let you know it turned out to be the nut cages after all.  I got the fender off and the right side was shiny, I cut them off and replaced the bolts with stainless carriage bolts and stopnuts and it works perfectly.  I did have to set my rear shocks to 5 but with me weighing in at a little better than 250 lbs I was getting some rub on some bumps but that took care of it.  Thanks for your help.
MP
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 06:52:59 AM »

Good news!  It is amazing, over the years, how many who have gone to CT's, are 100% sure that the swing arm is rubbing the tire.  And, EVERY time it turns out to be the nut cage!  IF it was the swing arm, something would be wrong with the frame or otherwise.  One tire I had, a business card was snug going between the tire and the arm, but it did not touch!

If it does not touch sitting still, it will NOT touch while spinning. 

Have fun riding!

Scranton, ND
"Riding with Cycho"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: