Welcome To Valkyrie-Owners.com
July 29, 2014, 01:38:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the VOAI-- the world's first and oldest Valkyrie organization!

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Valkyrie vs. VTX1800  (Read 3015 times)
madwrstler
« on: January 05, 2007, 07:45:55 PM »

I figured some of you have made this comparison. Anyone ridden both and what are your impressions?

FYI - I am not thinking of a VTX because I have had a number of V-Twins and am looking for something different (ala - Valkyrie)
Marc S
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 10:03:11 PM »

Probably not a fair comparison because I have about 45k miles on my Valkyrie and only rode a VTX about 20 miles but in my mind the two bikes really aren't on the same level at all.  The Valkryie can be rode more aggressively due to it's more upright ergonomics and the position of the pegs.  The VTX has less ground clearance.  Of course the Valkryie has the massive bulletproof engine that at least makes it stand out even if some thumb their nose at it.  The way I sum it up is the VTX really doesn't have any character that makes it stand out as unique or special.  Sure it's a well put together good performing V-twin motorcycle but that's it.  Oh yeah, in stock form it sounds like a garden tractor too.  

I had to laugh when Honda came out with the new "touring" package on the 07' VTX's, basically a windshield and some leather bags.  Pretty weak effort in my opinion.  The truth is in the V-twin market a buyer has a lot of options now besides a Harley.  Yamaha's new Roadliner and Stratoliner are pretty decent as well has the Triumph Rocket III, and Kawasaki Vulcan (also getting long in the tooth).  Keep an eye on Victory too they seem to understand what the American market wants as well.  Honda has been living way too long on just it's hard earned, well deserved reputation.  Won't be long though and they'll be #3 behind Harley and Yamaha.
PAValk
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 10:26:44 AM »

Well I'll chime in since I own both bikes. Basically though I would have to agree with everything that Marc S states above. They are just too different for a fair comparison. The Valk is much smoother running and way more comfy for long distance riding. The VTX 1800 feels like it pulls more torque but that is more due to the different gearing. The VTX also "feels" heavier and less nimble. While I do love my VTX there is really nothing "unique" about it compared to other V-twins in its class like the Suzuki M109, Kawi 2000, Yamaha Roadliner & Streamliner etc. It is however superior to most of the Harley V-twins except for the V-Rod which will beat it in the 1/4 mile. Overall I use my VTX mostly for short hops although I have done rides up to 500 miles in a day. The stock seat is a rock and for most it is usually one of the first items to be switched out. The VTX is far easier to maintain overall then the Valk due to the fuel injection, only 2 cylinders (but 4 plugs) and easy access to the air filter. Also far less vacuum lines.

Ironically the front and rear suspensions of both bikes are almost identical. The VTX has a linked braking system but I have felt no noticeable benefit. The C model has a relatively small fuel tank and has a cruising range of only about 120 miles before the reserve light comes on. The R model holds about a gallon more.

The Valk on the other hand is quite unique in both design and appearance but some people just have that "V-Twin" mentality and want to see those two big jugs in the frame. I like them both but if someone forced me to get rid of one it would be the VTX.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 10:36:50 AM by PAValk » Logged
Valkbikr
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »

I had a VTX-C for three yrs. (20,000 mi.) With V&H Bigshots, K&N and Power Commander, it was a great running bike. Then I demo-rode a Triumph Rocket III at Laconia in 2003 and sold the VTX to get one. It's one awesome, hotrod  cruiser! But the wife and I ride 2-up alot, and I wanted a comfortable touring cruiser that still looked like a hotrod so we bought our 99 Standard Valk 15 mo. ago. It gets ridden way more than the Triumph and our Harley Deuce combined. More comfortable seats than the VtX had, better-shaped bars, smoother of course plus awesome good looks. We wouldn't trade our Valk for even a new VTX! I hope it lasts until Honda produces a new 2200cc or bigger Valk!
'KC'
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 05:28:34 AM »

hope it lasts until Honda produces a new 2200cc or bigger Valk!

That would be good. I keep hoping that Honda will wake up to the fact that the Valkyrie still has a very large following, and that there is a market for a new one.
I rode the VTX a few years ago, '02 I think. It was OK for a V-twin, but not my preference. It had pretty good torque, and a nice sound, (if you like the twin sort of thing). I felt like my Valkyrie would have stomped it bad, and it is so much nicer to ride. I only put some 30 miles on the VTX, just wasn't for me.
Tropic traveler
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 09:02:36 PM »

The VTX is the Honda of the V-Twin cruisers.
What I mean by that {besides the obvious} is it is just another HD clone, albeit the best clone! I spent some time on both a 1300 and an 1800 and they were good bikes, but still just another ho-hum V-Twin.
........The Valkyrie  cool.....
There is nothing like it! A "cruiser" if you want it to be AND a damn fine "tourer" too.  Around my parts, HDs are the dominant bike in sheer numbers and the Valkyrie more than holds it's own in respect from that crowd. Seems the HD sheep disrespect the "metric HD clones" but the Valkyrie aint tryin' to be a Harley!   Cheesy
I don't know if any of this makes any sense to you but it kinda sums up how I feel about my Valkyrie. I have never been so satisfied by a vehicle purchase, nothing else has ever "felt" so right for me.
All that being said,
I test rode the R3 and I was THOROUGHLY impressed! That thing was a damn ROCKET! {no pun intended!} I am not in the market for a replacement for the Valk yet, still a couple of years away at best, but I would VERY seriously consider the R3 if Honda does not step up with a non V-Twin cruiser/tourer soon!
My advice is not surprisingly, GET A VALKYRIE!
You will not regret it!

[attachment deleted by admin]
PAValk
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »

Originally posted by Tropic traveler
The VTX is the Honda of the V-Twin cruisers.
What I mean by that {besides the obvious} is it is just another HD clone, albeit the best clone! I spent some time on both a 1300 and an 1800 and they were good bikes, but still just another ho-hum V-Twin.

While I agree and have also stated that I like the Valk better than the VTX I have to disagree that the VTX is either an HD clone or a ho-hum V-twin.

Except for the fact that both the HD and the VTX are V-twins there are virtually NO similarities. Exclusive of the HD V-Rod (which as we all know is really not representative of the traditional HD line) the VTX will readily mop up all the 88 cubic inch HD models with it's 110 cubic inch engine. Additionally the VTX1800 is EFI while HD has just this year made EFI standard on their bikes and only to begin to comply with EPA standards. Honda's 1800cc, water cooled, SOHC, 3 valve, 4 spark plug, double pin crankshaft engine is far far smoother than any of the HDs single pin, air cooled, over priced, 1936 technology, lawn mower engines. I can tell you that it will go from dead stop to 60 in a little over 2 seconds and easily hit 110 in 3rd gear before the rev limiter kicks in and has a top speed of about 135 corrected. This is far from "ho-hum" performance. Additionally, the VTX has a wet clutch and drive shaft, the HD does not.

As far as the VTX vs. the Valk in the speed catagory well they are within 1/10th of a second and 1 mph in the 1/4 mile with Valk posting a better time (12.63 seconds) and the VTX the faster speed (105.1 mph). Bear in mind that the Valk (standard)actually weighs less than the VTX by 20 lbs.

I am proud to own both the VTX and the Valk but to compare the VTX to an HD just because they share the same engine form factor is just plain wrong shocked JMHO...;)

PS - I agree that the R3 is just a flat out rocket and if I ever sold the VTX or the Valk, that's the one that would find a new home in my garage! When it first came out I thought it was just a butt ugly bike but after riding one the looks are secondary.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 07:59:02 AM by PAValk » Logged
'KC'
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 03:11:18 AM »

I have to agree about the Rocket III, I thought that was pretty ugly myself, but RIDING ONE! now that was fun. After riding it it didn't seem to be half bad looking.
Tropic traveler
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 12:44:40 PM »

No slighting of the VTX intended!
The ho-hum part of my opinion refers to the V-Twin design, which as we all know nowadays are as common as bellybuttons! Smiley Everyone has one!
If I ever were to knuckle under to the V-Twin craze, my choice would be SOLELY between the Suzuki M109 and the 1800 VTX for all the reasons you stated.
Here's to praying for a Flat 6 powered revival of Hondas big cruiser, the sooner the better!!!:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
PAValk
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 01:20:34 PM »

Originally posted by Tropic traveler
No slighting of the VTX intended!
The ho-hum part of my opinion refers to the V-Twin design, which as we all know nowadays are as common as bellybuttons! Smiley Everyone has one!
If I ever were to knuckle under to the V-Twin craze, my choice would be SOLELY between the Suzuki M109 and the 1800 VTX for all the reasons you stated.
Here's to praying for a Flat 6 powered revival of Hondas big cruiser, the sooner the better!!!:D

I know I know, you meant no ill will  ;) . I guess I'm just sensitive (it's a conditioned response) when someone compares my VTX to a Hardley. You're right, there are a bazillion V-Twins out there for sure. The M109 is a slick machine too. If I were buying another V-twin today I would be hard pressed to decide between the two myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: