Welcome To Valkyrie-Owners.com
September 01, 2014, 02:26:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remember that memberships renew every June 1st: Contact our VP "NITRO" for information.

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bigger Jets?  (Read 4224 times)
Terbob
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:45:40 PM »

Finally broke down and installed the Cobra 6 into six 6 pipes and love them.  While I was at it I installed the 4 degree wheel and the K & N air filter.  My son and I rejetted the beast and installed the the 38's slow jets, the adjustable needles set on the 3rd setting and went from the stock 100's main jets to 105's.  The bike runs great and the sound is awesome.  However the top end is only about 110 mph.  After a 50 mile run and running 90 to 100 mph for 10 or 12 miles, I noticed that the tail pipes are really white indicating a lean condition.  I am going to go to the 108's.
My question is, what does the Valk nation think about the move from 105's to the 108's.  Is this to big of a jump or not big  enough?  Should I go up to the 110's?  As most of you know that it is a pretty big job to re jet the beast, so I only want to do this job 1 more time, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Terry
rodeo1
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:42:45 PM »

just remember an old race car analogy -- you cannot hurt a motor running it too rich. you can on the other hand burn a hole in a piston running it too lean.
BF

Florida Panhandle

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »

I suppose it depends of how often you ride at a hundred miles per hour.    laugh
red and white valkyrie
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 10:26:49 AM »

Try the 108s. However, from what I've read and experienced there is no rhyme or reason to the right jets. Try it and test it. I also have Cobra 6 into 6 pipes, a K& N filter and a trigger wheel. I have tried the dynojet needles. Even with the needles dropped all the way it's too rich. I am down to 92.5 main jets and the stock needles. I am still perfecting it, but will know more after trying it again today.
MP
Administrator

1997 Standard and 2001 red/blk I/S with sidecar

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »

Any change in fuel mileage by going to the smaller jets?
MP

Scranton, ND
"Riding with Cycho"
red and white valkyrie
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 11:35:40 PM »

Good question about the mileage. I've experienced poor mileage from new: as little as 15 mpg and as good as 30. That's why I wasn't too surprised that even with the cobra pipes and the K & N filter that I was still running too rich. However, I've only put on "test" miles with the leaner jets. And, I discovered today that what I thought was rich was in fact lean. You see, I started the whole process when I installed a belly tank. There was a stutter at 5,000 RPM's that was never there before. I thought that adjusting the carbs was necessary. My perception is that the gas flow may be different with the fuel pump and the fuel filters. I started with a carb synch. However, the carb synchronizer tool leaked out some of the mercury partway through the adjustment...although I thought it was fine, it wasn't. I couldn't find a retailer willing to sell me any mercury so I ordered a new synchronizer. Until it arrived yesterday I'd been changing jets to smaller sizes because all the signs were that it was too rich. When I re-synched the carbs with the newly arrived syncher yesterday, I found out that they were out of whack. Now I know that I am running lean. I have 92.5 main jets in now and over the course of the next week I will go back to 95 jets, then perhaps stock and if necessary on to 105s.
skromfols

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 08:50:52 AM »

Do you have a good bike shop in the area?  You would save time and money (in the long run) if you did a dyno run to determine what the air fuel mixture was.  A good dyno operator can let you know which way you need to go on jets, needles  and adjustments.

Stan
MP
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 09:17:28 AM »

+1 on the dyno run to get the mixture set.
MP

Scranton, ND
"Riding with Cycho"
Nogrey
Things are "Black & White"

Somewhere over the rainbow....

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »

I have never done the jet change thing, but I've read others posts about putting in Dial-a-jets and they seem happy. This allows you to make adjustments to the jets without tearing down. Just a thought.

These views are Nogrey's and do not necessarily represent the views of this stations or it's affiliates.
Andy
2000 Valk Interstate

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 12:27:53 PM »

Does anyone have OEM jets 35/100? and needles for sale
MP
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »

A lot of valks run 38 slows with everything else stock. If that is what you have, I would leave them in, and just change the high speed jets.

Scranton, ND
"Riding with Cycho"
timk519
Elite Forum Member

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 09:41:34 PM »

I have never done the jet change thing, but I've read others posts about putting in Dial-a-jets and they seem happy. This allows you to make adjustments to the jets without tearing down. Just a thought.
I've got the dial-a-jet kit and have been quite happy with them - they give me better MPG, better performance, and allow me to adjust the jetting for different altitudes.

Tim K
Black and Tan Dragon
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
Andy
2000 Valk Interstate

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 07:57:31 AM »

The receipt I had from the last owner indicated that they put a Cobra Jet Kit to go with the Cobra pipes.  I added stock pipes about two years ago and I just went to swap plugs as routine maintenence and they are black and fouled so I want to do the plugs and needles but for $200 eeek plus all the vacuum lines and fuel lines and such $$$$$$ adds up fast ..but Im a lifer ..as long as I can ride Im going to had my Valk IS so I want to do what is right for long term ownership
 John (JR Horton ) from the VRCC board offered to help me when able to lift again (right now Im just out of hospital) and he suggested getting all OEM stuff to simplify matters.
NITRO
~KP~
Administrator

Eau Claire, WI

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »

I see that Pinwall sells the entire carb bank for a little under $400. You probably don't want to go that route then either...

Semiprofessional wanderer.

Andy
2000 Valk Interstate

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:17:06 AM »

A very nice gent  DAve (Dogg) from the VRCC has offered to stop by and thinks that the Cobra Jet kit I have can be adjusted to suit the stock pipes. Being the cheap person that I am , I would rather do that and spend the $400 on some nice CruiserworksBoots or maybe some more chrome, LOL .

John (JR Horton) from the VRCC is head up next month to help me to replace lots of stuff since Im going to pull the seats, pods, airbox and tank, so we are going to replace a lot of the 10 year old rubber once that is open. All that stuff adds up fast $$$$ since Im buying all the OEM hoses and such , but that should keep my baby running well for a another 10 years I hope.

I also plan to install the Audiovox cruise control

I must say once again how fantastic Valk Owners are ..no such thing as a stranger in the VOA or VRCC...Everyone is so helpful . I feel blessed that God gave me the wisdom to buy a Valk..I have met some of the nicest folks ever :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: