Welcome To Valkyrie-Owners.com
October 01, 2014, 05:11:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remember that memberships renew every June 1st: Contact our VP "NITRO" for information.

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CLEANING SLOW JETS IN CARBS, HOW EASY HOW HARD,  (Read 5211 times)
TAZ
Elite Forum Member
Administrator

Chi-Town TAZ Chicago, IL

« on: May 23, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »

My slow jets are clogged on the right side, at least 1 maybe 2 are popping and driving my nuts.   Besides doing it the long way by the manual is there a easier way to get them out and cleaned without taking the whole carb bank out of the bike?  Is there any special tools needed or other know all stuff you can pass along???  your assistance is very much appreciated. thank you!   Evil

dennisraz
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »

How about a few ounces of kerosene,added to the fuel.

TAZ
Elite Forum Member
Administrator

Chi-Town TAZ Chicago, IL

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 04:52:50 PM »

would that work or eat up any seals?

mikehallbackhoe
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 05:01:07 PM »

yamaha makes the best carb cleaner I have ever tried, and believe me I tried them all when I first got my valk, with the entire right bank plugged. yamaha cleaner worked, one application.only other choice is to take them apart, and that can be done without removing the carbs.
timk519
Elite Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 06:33:46 PM »

I just had my carb banks out, and if the bowl screws had co-operated, I could've swapped my main jets w/out pulling the carb banks. If you can get yours to co-operate, and get a short enough screw-driver that'll mate with the jets, then you _may_ get away with just taking off the intake runners and the float bowls and not have to fight with the air filter and related stuff. 

If the bowl screws don't co-operate, then you're looking at doing the whole job the hard way.

Good luck!

Tim K
Black and Tan Dragon
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
TAZ
Elite Forum Member
Administrator

Chi-Town TAZ Chicago, IL

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 09:09:49 PM »

whats the name of that yamaha cleaner?  is it still available at most dealers?

mikehallbackhoe
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 09:16:37 AM »

the container just says carburetor cleaner. I located it online several years ago. I believe it has been discontinued, but you still might find it online. strong stuff. mix 1 part cleaner with 3 parts gasoline, drain after 1 hour
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 09:18:24 AM by mikehallbackhoe » Logged
dennisraz
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:59:18 PM »

I use the a1 every once in a while with no ill efffects.
A few ounces added to a full tank,shouldn't have any bad affects as the ratio would be quite low.
My bike runs great on the stuff.
You will see an immediate difference in the fuel system.
Nothing like jet fuel to get my motor running.
 Grin
TAZ
Elite Forum Member
Administrator

Chi-Town TAZ Chicago, IL

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 10:57:33 PM »

i read alot of info on the yamaha carb cleaner and they kept saying not to run in you tank so was wondering if it is really that powerful that it will find stuff not even in the tank to flow down to my carbs or are they talking about people that have left their bikes sit for years on end without running?  They say mix 3:1 gas to cleaner so I would think that would be ok running thru bike tank....just don't want to burn any seals, gaskets or whatever out running this stuff as it seems pretty high tech....oh they did mention Chevron Tech Carb Cleaner too, anyone use that before?

mikehallbackhoe
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 12:00:07 AM »

I drained my carbs, removed tank, and poured it directly into fuel line. let it sit for 1 hour, started bike up and ran it out of fuel. 1 treatment worked. if 1st treament fails, let second treatment sit overnight. ingredients listed are Butoxyethanol, which is a solvent, and xylene, which can be used for an octane booster.
TAZ
Elite Forum Member
Administrator

Chi-Town TAZ Chicago, IL

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 12:27:12 AM »

ok....will try once I find yamaha carb cleaner....I think I saw some at local shop, thanks

Marty_in_MN
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 05:29:31 PM »

I'm in the same boat as you. However, before conceding to a yet to be done carb banks removal, I tried the Yamaha Carb Cleaner.

I had the fuel tank off to do an air filter replacement, and after draining the carbs, I poured the cleaner directling into the fuel line, filling the carb bowls with it, three times, waiting 24 hours in between draining and refilling. Well, after the last draining, I put the fuel tank on and filled the carbs with gas. After a little coaxing, the Valk fired up. Big disappointment. It now runs worse than ever, mostly in the 1/8 to 1/4 throttle opening range, then takes off just fine once beyond the slow speed circuit and into the main jets.

I'm going the whole route. I've ordered new slow speed jets, a new vacuum diaphragm and screen for the petcock, plus RedEyeTech hoses, QD and o-rings. I might try to pull the intake runners and try the work without pulling the carbs completely, but from what I've read (and a lot too) about it, if your going to do it completely, you may as well pull the carbs and work on them on a bench somewhere. If anyone has experience and/or pointers for doing all of this, please feel free to respond. Heck, I even have a brand new Morgan Carbtune II gathering dust for the finale that will include a synchronization.

FYI, I bought my Yamaha Carb Cleaner online from a company called Riva Motorsports, but that was a couple of years ago, and I don't know if they carry it anymore.

Happy trails,
Marty
timk519
Elite Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 06:45:43 PM »

Is filling the carbs with the cleaner and letting it sit how the carb cleaner's supposed to work? I'm thinking if the cleaner's added to the gas and then run through the carbs as you drive, it'll dissolve the gunk a bit at a time, and the resulting residue'll get burned off when it gets sucked into the combustion process. I'm not sure what might happen if the stuff was applied full-force and then let sit, beyond your experience.

If only the slow jets are gummed up, then simply replacing them may do the trick, but for a lower long-term frustration level, pulling the carb banks and going the whole nine yards would certainly assure you wouldn't have to look at doing the job again in the near future.

Tim K
Black and Tan Dragon
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
mikehallbackhoe
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 06:58:47 PM »

the carb cleaner says not to put it in the tank. shaking the bike helps, and I went ahead and ran it through the carbs after it had set.the thing is, if they are completely plugged, it might not work. you could also try letting them sit, and then blowing into the fuel hose with an air compressor. one treatment worked for me.
timmer

Roseville, MN

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 07:22:21 PM »

Taz I used the Yamaha cleaner years ago on a old 76 GL1000 Wing that I had just bought. I met a guy that was looking at my bike and we were BSing and I mentioned that I was having problems with the carbs and he told me about the Yamaha juice. He said to only have a gallon of gas in the tank and pour the whole bottle in. Start the bike up and let it run long enough to make sure the mix goes through the carbs then shut it down and wait 24 hrs then drain each float bowl. The gas will look green like pea soup. Start the bike up and run it for a few minutes and then shut it down again. Repeat this for three nights. Each time you drain the bowls the gas should look better then top the tank up completely with fresh gas and ride it. Well I did what he said but used only 1/2 the bottle instead of the whole thing and it worked. Can't say that it will work for you - but it did on that old 76 Wing.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: