Welcome To Valkyrie-Owners.com
October 23, 2014, 05:06:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remember that memberships renew every June 1st: Contact our VP "NITRO" for information.

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Login Register Chat  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dyno test  (Read 6889 times)
Dag
Senior Forum Member

NORWAY

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 03:07:49 PM »

I dont think I will pull the carbs out again. I will try to adjust the DAJ instead (first)
If I decide to change the jets I will go one size down. I think that will be 92 or 93 ? I have not checked...

I have a love affair with a Bumble Bee
JetDriver
Dues Paying Member
Administrator

Columbus, OH

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 10:27:32 PM »

I will try to adjust the DAJ instead (first)

That's another thing I've got a question on.  From the pictures, it looks like in order to adjust the DAJ, you have to move the fuel tank out of the way.  Hopefully I'm wrong on that.
Dag
Senior Forum Member

NORWAY

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 09:39:46 AM »

I have to lift the fuel tank a few cm in front.

I have a love affair with a Bumble Bee
JetDriver
Dues Paying Member
Administrator

Columbus, OH

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2009, 02:32:26 PM »

Thanks for the info - this is in the planning stages for a winter project.  I asked about the jet sizes, but now I remember the '97 is different from the rest.  Do you think if I use your same jets, I'll be ok?  (98 tourer)
rdunbar123
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »

New to the forum, I am ordering a magnacharger. I am dealing with Bill Bushling, seems okay. how have your dealings with magna charger been. Bill make the installation seem easy and I do a lot of my own additions so what he describes sounds like a good weekend +. This is my first valk, i bought a 2001 interstate with 27000 miles in great condition. traded a venture. I still have a raider but the valk is a unique machine. Just wanted to get opinions on the magnacharge and any cautions. You guys have been there. You can never have enought chrome or horsepower. IMO.
Sludge
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 09:52:08 PM »

I was cautioned by Jeff K not to run over about 4lbs of boost unless I installed the forged pistons.  Jeff has done probably more blower installs than anyone I know of and I trusted his opinion.  JE pistons ran me about $700 for the set then you also have to do the gaskets etc where ya have to split the engine, take off the heads, ...  Oh, im running 8 lbs now.  The bike has performed flawlessly since the install.  Its a bit cold natured though and is a bit tempermental to start in cold weather.  I would also suggest changing from the stock exhaust to something like the exhaust offered by Carolina Bike & Trike.  They purchased the tooling etc from Thunder Mfg for their pipes. 

http://www.carolinabikeandtrike.com/Exhaust1.htm

Also, I changed the fuel pump from what came with the kit as did many other blower folks I have talked to. Now, if you got the new kit it may have the carb behind the blower.  If thats the case you wont have a pump at all as I understand it.  However, if you got the kit with the Keihin CV carb and the J tube it will have a pump in the kit with it.  They arent known for being all that reliable.  So, after hearing about several folks getting stuck on the side of the road by that fuel pump, I just went ahead and installed a better pump.

If you stay with the stock pistons, the blower install is an afternoon project for the most part.  If you go the whole distance, then its gonna take a while.

I also installed a pressure switch and a Dyna 3000.  I set the pressure switch to ground when the boost rose to 4psi or above.  This let the Dyna 3000 retard the timing.

Here is a list of the changes I made to mine.

JE forged pistons
Dyna 3000
Viking valve springs
Thunder exhaust
NOS pressure switch (for use with the Dyna 3000)
Jiffy Tite quick disconnects for the fuel lines.  (makes tuning much easier when you have to pull the tank over and over)
Pingle Petcock (the stock one starved mine at wide open throttle)
Inline Fuel Filter (since the pingle didnt have as fine a strainer as the stock petcock)
Water Wetter coolant additive.
Dipstick Oil Temp Thermometer
I also double sprung the diaphragm spring on the clutch.
NOS fuel pump
I also installed an O2 sensor in one exhaust bank so that I could hook up a K&N Fuel/Air ratio gauge from time to time while tuning.

Ive done a number of other things to the bike too, but those are the main changes to the powerplant and drive line that I can think of.
Once you install the kit, you may find that it is hard to adjust it to idle properly.  Many of the bikes will "search" for an idle.  They will oscillate from about 600rpm to say 1500 rpm and back. I ended up drilling a really really small hole in the center of my butterfly (Keihin CV Carb) to give it just a taste of more air. This took some experimentation but after a couple trys I got the oscillation stopped and it allowed me to tune the idle.  If you have a similar problem just email me and I will go and see if I can find out what size I drilled it out to.  Its been a few years so forgive me forgetting but I would be happy to go play around find out what I did.  It was smaller than 1/16th.  Perhaps a #54 bit or so.  Thats in the neighborhood. 

Another thing.  The kit will come with a desmog kit.  Mic your smog ports on your heads and the plugs before you try to drive those plugs into the ports.  The plugs that came with mine were a few thousandths oversize for mine.  As a result I cracked a port because I trusted them.  Evidently there was a small change at some point in valk production and a size change in that port size.  7 thousandths or so rings a bell.  At any rate, I had to get me a piece of aluminum and I borrowed a friends turning lathe and I turned my own plugs and polished them and welded up the crack ... it all worked out in the end, but I got a bit hot under the collar when I cracked that port.  So... MEASURE FIRST!  Smiley

Oh, and as I recall the instructions that came with the kit were pretty vague at times.  I figured it out so Im sure you can too.  Its not like im some kind of rocket scientist or anything.  If ya have a question just drop me a line or call Bill or Lamont.

I hope some of this helps.  Have fun.  Once ya make the change... you wont regret it  Grin
rdunbar123
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »

Thanks for the information. two questions, one, does cutting the timing belt cover cause problems? It is a seal unit stock. is dirt a problem? or am i seeing something wrong? two, I don't have an exhaust gas analyzer but have acces to a furnace stack analyzer that measures o2, co, nox, and temp. is this of any value in configuring your pipes for a magna charger.  What should the exhaust look like as far as o2 and co? Again, I go with the valk as my only bike. I really am glad i bought it.
loudvalkyrie

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2010, 11:34:52 PM »

Iam curious what dial a jet is and tell me if I should even consider this.I have cobra 6 packs and Iam 90 % sure the guy did the jets with cobra jets??....My bike runs lean but throttle response is amazing....should I investigate??......Or as the old saying goes.."if it aint broken dont bother"
MP
Administrator

1997 Standard and 2001 red/blk I/S with sidecar

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 07:54:16 AM »

Several have put dial a jets on, and like them.

MP

Scranton, ND
"Riding with Cycho"
timk519
Elite Forum Member

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »

Iam curious what dial a jet is and tell me if I should even consider this.I have cobra 6 packs and Iam 90 % sure the guy did the jets with cobra jets??....My bike runs lean but throttle response is amazing....should I investigate??......Or as the old saying goes.."if it aint broken dont bother"
I added it to my bike - it gave me improved throttle response, more horsepower, better MPG, and the ability to easily adjust the carb's jetting when changing altitude w/out having to pull the carb banks. This is a big help as a bike setup for sea-level running has it's MPG drop like a stone when running at higher altitudes.

I pulled a trailer with a DAJ setup I/S over 15,000 miles this past summer and absolutely loved the performance and 30-ish mileage it gave me.

Tim K
Black and Tan Dragon
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
JetDriver
Dues Paying Member
Administrator

Columbus, OH

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2010, 12:53:25 PM »

Tim K~   Is your engine stock, other than the DAJ?
Sludge
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2010, 02:30:17 PM »

Thanks for the information. two questions, one, does cutting the timing belt cover cause problems? It is a seal unit stock. is dirt a problem? or am i seeing something wrong? two, I don't have an exhaust gas analyzer but have acces to a furnace stack analyzer that measures o2, co, nox, and temp. is this of any value in configuring your pipes for a magna charger.  What should the exhaust look like as far as o2 and co?

Cutting the timing cover didnt have any negative effect on my riding.  However, that said, I dont use it as a dirt bike...  I have ridden it in very heavy rain though with no ill effects caused by the timing belt cut.  The bike did however ingest some water during very hard rain in almost un-drivable conditions. That nearly shut it down.  Nearly.

As for the exhaust gas analyzer I give you a link to wikipedia Cheesy  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-fuel_ratio.  Any way you can measure this is acceptable. 

loudvalkyrie

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2010, 07:23:24 PM »

so where would someone get dial a jets and how hard are they to install??>....do you have to change very much??....could the average tinker guy do it??.
Sludge
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 08:19:39 PM »

Here is their web site.  http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

I have a set for my blower bike but its on an experimental carb so I cant give ya info on the ins and outs of putting them on a stock bike.  Dag would be the best person that I know of for that.  However, from my experience a person of average mechanical ability should be able to tackle it.
timk519
Elite Forum Member

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 10:53:19 PM »

Tim K~   Is your engine stock, other than the DAJ?
Yep - still got the smog kit and everything. Smiley

One additional thing on the improved throttle response - the DAJ also fixes the problem of losing power when rolling-on the throttle while in 5th gear like when passing someone.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 11:04:55 PM by timk519 » Logged

Tim K
Black and Tan Dragon
2001 Valkyrie Interstate
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: