Welcome To Valkyrie-Owners.com
November 01, 2014, 05:07:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Join us in June! The VOAI will be invading Harrison, Arkansas for our annual ride-in/reunion. Find all the info below!

Home   Help Arcade Search Calendar Gallery Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobras, jet kit, bluing  (Read 3365 times)
« on: March 12, 2003, 06:03:57 PM »

I'm trying to help my riding buddy's wife buy some pipes for his Valkyrie Interstate (Cobra 6 into 6)  (expecting him to do the same someday of course) These pipes have a tendancy to blue (don't they all?) but I wonder if that Kreem anti bluing stuff does any good?
Also, is it necessary to rejet the carbs?  Losing a few HPs isn't a huge concern but if rejetting helps stop the bluing that would be nice.
Thanks guys!
PS Confession: I'm a Virago 1100 rider myself....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 09:23:12 PM »

Try Factory Pro.  I tried the web site but nothing online. I've installed a stage 1 jet kit and the tech support there is pretty good about matching jets to exhaust.  Or maybe Cobra?

I have some Kreem inside my SuperTrapps and the header pipes  are a nice gold color and no blue. But hard to say if the jets are too small in your buddy's case. The stuff is fairly easy to apply if the header pipes are seperate from the muffler, are the cobras 2-piece?

Maybe someone here actually has some Cobras so you can get first hand knowledge.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 09:32:30 PM »

Cobra pipes will blue, period.

I have the 6:6 pipes. I used the Kreem stuff on them, and rejet, but they still blued after a while.

Without rejetting, you will lose a small amount of power, but truthfully not much you'll notice. Anytime you get a freer flowing exhaust, if you don't rejet the carbs to richen the mixture, you'll get a slight loss in power.

The bluing isn't terrible though, and the cool look of the 6:6 (and the SOUND!) is well worth it.

Here's a pic:

--TMIB
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2003, 08:22:26 AM »

last summer I purchased a new 2002 Valk and it was best purchase I have ever made, with one exeption, the exhaust. I couldn't stand how quite the bike was. I sucked it up and spent the money on the  6 into 6 cobra exhaust and man what a difference, now it sounds like a short block Chevy, and all the Harley riders can't help but stop and stare.
When I bought the pipes, I was told that rejetting had to be done, but when I called Cobra, they told me it was not needed, but I had already purchased the kit. I drove it with and without the kit, and honestly, there really is no difference.
A week or so into the new pipes, the pipes started to blue up, and of course I was freakin out that my baby was already starting to look old. I got on the phone with Cobra, and some California sounding dude, basically told me that if you didn't have blue pipes you were a pussy, it was kind of a badge of honor,and that you loved to ride hard, and there is nothing you can do exept buy covers for the pipes, which are just sleaves that cover up the pipes. He gave me a phone number of a guy who sold them, and it was something like $240-No thanks, I aready had about 700 into pipes and jet kit.  Blue is cool .
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2003, 08:31:38 PM »

If you have Cobras you have to deal with the blueing. One nice alternative is to send the pipes to JET-HOT coatings and have the pipes cerama-chromed back to the covers. looks great, cost about 180 dollars and will never blue. looks almost like chrome and wipe right off. Any single wall pipe will blue. I wouldn't waste my time trying to get the blueing off. Just ride:D BR
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2003, 09:13:00 PM »

Thanks guys, I was waiting and waiting for replies (expecting an email, must be that doesn't work).
I wasn't aware until today that Jardine makes pipes for Valks (or Hard Krome for that matter).
What about the Jardines?  at $380 what's the quality and sound?
I agree on the bluing thing, BTW if the bluing is confined to the headers (as per above picture, that's a sweet bike BTW) that's no biggee.
My Virago with Cobras blues up too (at the baffles though, uglier there), sounds great though, I wouldn't trade for nothing.
Jardine?  any experience?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2003, 09:06:30 PM »

Any single walled chrome pipe will blue. Its one of those things that they cant seem to cure. BR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: